- The Directorate of Extension at KVAFSU was initiated with the objective of providing extension education and service to the professional and livestock farmers.
- The Directorate of Extension functions as a link between the university and farming community in transferring the improved technologies to the farmers door and also in identifying the field problems there by giving sufficient feed back to the university to orient the research on those lines.
- Training programme is the main motto of the directorate for professionals and the farming community. Further, the Directorate has planned to bring out extension literature and package of practices in all sphere of Animal Husbandry, Dairy and Fisheries for the benefit of farming community.
- The Directorate has planned to adapt a village under each institution for over all development of livestock activities aiming to create model village. Further, impact training will be given to the extension personnel who are engaged in extension work in the villages there by strengthening them to educate the rural women, farmers and unemployed youth to establish Livestock and Fishery units.
- The Directorate has planned to produce documentaries on different livestock and fisheries management activities to be aired through mass media for the benefit of the farming community.
- “Farmer Friendly & Rural Oriented”.
- To improve the socio-economic conditions of the farming community through its multi pronged extension activities.
- Organizing a series of training programmes, demonstrations, farmer-scientist interaction sessions, field Days, Farmer Field Schools, Skill Development Programmes, Model Training Courses, Pashu melas, Mathsya melas etc, through its constituent colleges and research & Information Centers spread across the state.
- Publications such as Annual Reports, News Letters, Colanders, Leaflets, Success Stories, Package of Practices, Animal Husbandry & Fisheries Dictionaries, Farm Literature etc., both in regional language and English.
Major Programs undertaken
- Sujala III - World Bank Project
- ICAR-KVK - Government of India
- NFDB - Government of India
- APC - Government of Karnataka
- Trainings for Farmers/Scientists
- Radio Talks and TV Programmes
- Animal Health Camps
- Field Days
- Pashu Melas
- Matsya Melas